top of page
  • Writer's picturePhilip Ian Murray

Out of the FA Cup and relegation now a distinct possibility

I haven't been able to blog about the game sooner because (a) I am still frozen from being at Molineux for 3 hours last night and (b) I have been trying to find highlights of the match on YouTube and they have only just appeared. We lose to Wolves after extra time after being ahead twice and it wasn't great football but a reasonable amount of goalmouth action. We played well during extra time but for the first 90 minutes we were pretty poor. We did have out a very weak team because of our injury problems and three players at AFCON. We were not physical enough and lost every 50:50 contest and gave away the ball loads of times, particularly in midfield. Strakosha made some good saves but had the habit of kicking the ball upfield to Maupay who, being the smallest player on the pitch, was beaten in the air every time by their centre half. Surprisingly we went ahead after 13 minutes from Collins and that was about our first attack. They equalised in the 36th minute as Strakosha could only parry a shot back to the same Wolves player who scored. We went ahead again in the second half through Maupay in the 54th minute but I, and all the Wolves supporters, thought he was offside. All the mocking from the Wolves supporters changed a couple of minutes later when VAR allowed the goal to stand. The look on their faces was the highlight of the evening. They again equalised in the 72nd minute and the game went to extra time. We then did try to win the game and over the course of the match there were goalmouth incidents from both sides with shots into the side netting, good saves, hitting the woodwork, and Jensen's goal being disallowed for offside. Then the penalty incident and as I was at that end of the ground it looked like he dived but VAR gave it and they scored. Wolves then hung on and won 3-2. Probably, the most realistic score would have been 5-3. Looking at the YouTube video did not help as I still don't know if it was a penalty or a dive. I was delighted there wasn't penalties otherwise I would have been a block of ice at the end of them. I'll be back on the 10th February for the PL game. Now we have a must win game at home against Nottingham Forest on Saturday and Ivan Toney is back!



bottom of page